If you have been charged with a robbery in Louisville, KY, it can have a significant impact on your future. The state of Kentucky considers robbery a serious offense and will aggressively prosecute your case, subjecting you to fines or even jail time.
At Suhre & Associates, LLC, our Louisville robbery defense lawyers will do everything we can to defend you against the charges and help you get the results you want. The state will waste no time in building its case against you, so you should waste no time in building your defense. Call our Louisville law firm today at (502) 371-7000 for a free consultation to get started.
Table of Contents
How Suhre & Associates, LLC Can Help After A Robbery Charge in Louisville, KY
Hiring our Louisville criminal defense attorneys can help ensure you get the results you deserve. The criminal justice system can be overwhelming and complex. Our experienced attorneys will be able to handle the complexities of the criminal case, and you can rest assured that a strong team is working on your behalf.
At Suhre & Associates, LLC, we understand the enormous trauma of being brought up on charges of robbery. That is why we take great care to ensure a smooth process as we work with you. We keep you from becoming overwhelmed with the legal system.
We want to earn your trust and make this difficult experience as comfortable as possible for you. You should not have to worry about legal matters. Leave that to our experts.
Among the services offered by our Louisville criminal defense attorneys:
- Interview: We meet with you personally to get all the information about your case. We ask detailed questions so we can prepare a strong defense.
- Keeping You Informed: It is important for your peace of mind that you are aware of what is happening with your case as we proceed. We keep you informed and also ensure our conversations with you are always kept confidential.
- Investigation: We investigate your case to consider any possible avenues for acquittal. Some of the ways we do that include talking to the police and questioning their tactics, finding any witnesses to the alleged crime, and consulting with experts regarding possible testimony.
- Evidence: Our Louisville robbery defense lawyers take great care in studying your case and analyzing every bit of evidence to determine if there are facts and theories that can help build your defense.
- Jury Selection: We handle the jury selection process to ensure that jurors who may be biased are removed from your trial.
- Plea Bargaining: We know how to negotiate with prosecutors to get you the best deal we can, including seeking ways to reduce the charges or lighten the punishment.
- Trial: If your case goes to trial, we fight for you by examining witnesses and persuading the jury that the prosecution has not proven its robbery case against you.
- Sentencing: If you are sentenced, either through a deal with the prosecution or a conviction by the court, we continue to represent you and do everything we can to get jail time or other punishments reduced.
The prosecution will not rest. They will aggressively pursue their robbery case against you. Having the robbery defense lawyers at Suhre & Associates, LLC, on your side can make all the difference.
What is Robbery?
Unlike theft, robbery is not just about stealing items that do not belong to you. Kentucky law requires that additional factors be present for the crime to be considered a robbery. In particular, the element of force is a key component of what elevates theft to robbery. The force may be minimal but must be present, and it must have been applied during the actual commission of the robbery.
The critical facts of your case will determine whether you are charged with robbery in the first degree or second degree.
Robbery in the First Degree
Robbery in the First Degree means that, in the course of committing theft, you used or threatened physical force on a person.
In addition, it means you:
- Caused physical injury to another who was not part of your crime; or
- Were armed with a deadly weapon; or
- Used or threatened to use a dangerous instrument on another who was not part of your crime
We will go through all the facts and details of your case to determine if the necessary elements of the charges against you are present.
Robbery in the Second Degree
Robbery in the Second Degree means that, in the course of committing the theft, you used or threatened physical force on a person with the intent to accomplish a theft.
Our Louisville robbery defense lawyers will closely examine your case to understand all that happened and help you fight the charges or have them reduced.
Contact our law office to arrange a free consultation today to learn more about how our Louisville robbery defense lawyers can help if you have been charged with a robbery in Louisville, KY.
Penalties for Robbery in Louisville, KY
A robbery is considered a felony in Kentucky and refers to any crime that is punishable by one or more year(s) in state prison. The state divides felonies by degree of severity (A, B, C, D).
In the Kentucky criminal system, robbery in the first degree is a Class B Felony and carries a sentence of 10 to 20 years in jail. Robbery in the second degree is a Class C Felony and carries a sentence of 5 to 10 years in jail.
If you are convicted of a felony, in addition to possible fines and incarceration, you may find yourself dealing with:
- Loss of the right to vote
- Ineligibility for elected office or professional licenses
- Job loss
- Restrictions on the right to possess weapons
- Barred from serving on a jury
- Ineligibility for housing, public benefits, educational benefits or certain jobs
- Immigration problems up to and including removal
- Negative impact on custodial rights or divorce proceedings
- May be required to register with certain registries
Returning to a normal life after a felony conviction is enormously difficult. Many of the consequences listed above are part of your civil rights and privileges. Losing them could significantly alter your future.
Defenses to Louisville Robbery Charges
At Suhre Associates, LLC, we know all the possible defenses against a robbery charge. We will work tirelessly to find any and all ways to challenge the prosecution in your case.
Some possible factors that we would consider in your defense include:
- Mistaken Identity: The identity of a robber is often based on eyewitnesses. You may have been falsely identified by someone who made a mistake. A good robbery defense lawyer can question such unreliable evidence.
- Stolen Property: If you do not have the stolen property on your person at the time of arrest, nor in your home or car, we will take that into account in your defense.
- Ownership: If the property you are charged with stealing is property that you rightfully believed was your own, then we may be able to demonstrate a lack of intent to commit a crime.
- Alibi: We can help you deny the charges if you can prove you could not have been at the scene of the crime.
Your guilt must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, and factors such as these can raise a number of issues that make it difficult for you to be prosecuted. Our Louisville robbery defense lawyers will uncover these and any other possible defenses.
When you hire us, you get the highest caliber representation and service. Given our track record, you know you can depend on us to handle your case successfully.
Call our Louisville robbery defense lawyers now for a free consultation with our understanding and non-judgmental team of attorneys. We provide the strong, aggressive legal representation you need to keep you from being convicted.
We know your life has changed dramatically and you are worried about the future. Robbery is a serious crime and you have every reason to be concerned, which is why we are here to relieve your worry. We can provide you with the skilled representation you deserve.
Contact Our Louisville Robbery Defense Lawyers Now
Hiring Suhre & Associates, LLC, means you are hiring a team of lawyers who will advocate for you with tenacity. With our combined years of experience handling robbery defense in Kentucky, we have what it takes to help you get the best possible outcome.
Our Louisville robbery defense lawyers are leaders in criminal defense, and if we decide to take your case, you can rest assured it is because we believe it has the necessary elements for success. Visit our criminal defense office or reach out to us online to get started. We are ready to defend you and protect your rights.
As with all our cases, your initial consultation is absolutely free.